Wednesday, November 19, 2014

My New Teacher


So, of course, I called her. She explained that she had been playing violin...forever...and that she charged just $20 for a half hour lesson. She also was located in the town next to our which was great for me because I don't drive in the city and the town she lives in is very small.
I'll call her by her first name here Ms. Linda. Her and I hit it off right off. She is an older lady...actually much older at 74 than I ever would have guessed from looking at her. She also is quite short whereas I am 5 ft. 9 in. We started with both of us standing but have adjusted because of my height and an injury she has so that now we both sit during practice.
I must say that though I like her quite a lot at first I was not impressed with her teaching. She tends to skip around too much and assume I know things that I don't. She also can't seem to tell me what exactly I am doing wrong but can tell me when I haven't hit a note right. She had no plan on how to teach me. I brought her all sorts of books and she just sort of picked out of them. Finally I think she could tell that not only was this not working for me but I was thinking of quitting but I really didn't want to quit. We decided to follow one book. I picked the one that came with my violin because it started with the key of A and then D, G etc. (in other words, three sharps, two sharps and 1 sharp). That worked better except that all the songs in the book are classical. I am just not much of a fan of classical music. I want to be able to play songs I know and I love Irish music. Finally I took it into my own hands and would study the songs she asked me to during the week but then I would also do a song or two that I wanted to do and slowly it just turned into me always picking what to do and her just helping me out with any problems I had. I'm kind of teaching myself but I still couldn't do it without her because there would be no one there to correct my mistakes or tell me what different things mean. Eventually maybe I will find a different teacher who can take me to a higher level  of learning but for now it works for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment