Saturday, December 13, 2014

Don't Say I'm Good If I'm Not

I guess I can write what I want since no one has joined. I am surprised that all those members of my other blog Simply Self Sufficiency who said they were so interested in how I was doing with my playing violin, didn't want to see what I would have  to say on this new blog. They weren't as interested as they pretended to be apparently or they just don't have time for it. Doesn't matter, same thing.
Anyway, there was a post on facebook where a violin teacher who's videos I watched for a while but found a bit too...well too useless, posted a very young girl playing a Christmas carol on the violin. She was playing three different positions which was pretty impressive for a girl who was so young (I can't remember how old--6 or 8 maybe)...however, the bowing was so bad you could barely tell the tune she was playing. But, of course, there were all these replies about how wonderful she was. I really hate it when people do that....make someone think what they are doing is good, when it isn't. Yes, it was impressive that she could do fingerings in those positions but there was no way we could tell if she even did those right because her bowing was so terrible.
It made me think he must be a fairly bad teacher because even though my teacher isn't great, she does not like me to move on until I have become fairly good at whatever we have been working on.
I understand what encouragement is. Really I do but I think you have to encourage people when they do well and not just say they did well if they didn't.
I think this is part of what is wrong with kids today. Everyone tells them they are good even if they have put only a minimum of effort into what they are doing, everyone is so afraid to hurt a child's feelings, then when they grow into adults, they don't know how to deal with disappointment.
We were disappointed a lot when we were kids. I feel like I learned from that. If I want something I really try hard at it. My violin teacher says I practice more than any student she has ever had and here I was feeling like a couple hours practice a day wasn't great but it was all I could fit in.
She often tells me I am doing well. She often encourages me but they are always during times when even I know I have played well. She does not tell me I am "prefect" because we both know I am not.
I wouldn't want her to tell me I am good if I wasn't.
If you are always told you are good...where is the incentive to work harder to be better?

No comments:

Post a Comment