Friday, December 19, 2014

Master Classes

I really think if you are serious about playing an instrument youtube should be your best friend. Why learn from just one teacher when you can learn from many? Some of them are the best who have ever played! Why would you not want to do that. I met a girl the other day. She is a student of my teacher and when I mentioned to her that I thought youtube was a great resource she said that her parents were her resource because they played the piano.....okay.....but she is trying to play the violin...
You see my problem here. Too many people like the idea of playing an instrument but don't want to put in the time and work it takes to play one well. I say, if you are really passionate about the instrument you are playing, you are going to want to learn any way you can.
This brings me back to youtube and the master classes. No, they aren't anywhere near on my level which means I don't learn specific skills from them but that isn't the point. I watch them because I totally enjoy them and because someday I hope to understand everything.
One of my favorites is Maxim Vengerov. I love how he teaches. He makes you visualize the song. I can't play a piece even now if I don't know the tune so I can sing along in my head as I am playing. I know immediately if I am playing badly, if it doesn't match the song in my head. He is doing the same thing only on a more advance level. He not only brings in your visualizing the sound but makes you visualize scenes that you can relate to (the ballroom dancer etc. ).
I can't wait until I am to the point where such subtle differences in tone make such a difference in my playing. I can't wait until I can play well enough to not worry about just trying to get a good sound from the violin.
Someday..
Check out those Master Classes on youtube, it is not like most of us will ever have the chance to meet one of these teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment